Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5, 2011




I'm afraid I don't have a post for Independence Day this year.  Most of our celebrating was done over the weekend, so my family was burned out by the time the actual day rolled around.  We spent the day hanging out at home.  We did go out in the middle of the field behind our house at night (like last year) and listened and watched the chaos around us.  As usual, it sounded like an absolute warzone outside.  A new addition to the insanity were these weird Chinese lanterns.  They weren't technically fireworks, but they were still interesting.  They looked like glowing orbs (or UFOs) in the sky.  It's a good thing it's been a wet summer or I'm pretty sure on of them would have started a grass/forest fire somewhere...

Then, early this morning, I drove back to Lincoln in order to get to class on time.  I would have skipped under normal circumstances, but I had to give a presentation today.  The entire drive back, it was sunny, but hazy.  When I approached Lincoln from the west, you couldn't see the capitol building until you were very close to town due to the heavy mist.  The entire day was hot and ridiculously humid.  I went for a walk this afternoon and was absolutely soaked by the time I got back.  It was no surprise, then, when ominous clouds rolled in around 4:30 p.m.  The air was unbelievably stuffy and thick, and black clouds surrounded Lincoln from every direction (Picture 1).  The lightning was pretty incredible to the south.  I was watching TV at the time, and the sky-to-ground lightning was severe enough to make the cable go out about three times.  Then, it began raining as hard as it is possible to rain (Picture 2).  The second picture isn't blurry...it was just raining that ridiculously hard.  Finally, just in time for me to walk to my shift, the rain let up and things started to clear off to the north (Picture 3).  It's still stormy out there, but I think we may be out of the woods for the night...

No comments:

Post a Comment