Monday, July 18, 2011

July 17, 2011


As you can tell by the date of this post, I got this post up quite late.  Why?  Because my new Spanish class gives very little homework, and I'm bored to death at desk shifts now.  If I know I work later, I purposely save posting for those six hours of dead time.  Anyway, yesterday was another scorcher.  I worked from noon to six at the same desk where I'm working tonight (on a six to midnight shift), so I avoided most of the afternoon heat.  The only thing that sucks about this particular desk is the fact that it's like the freaking polar ice caps here.  The A/C blows on you the entire time.  You know it's bad when you have a blanket over your legs and a space heater on when it's about 100 degrees outside...

As I mentioned before, my family was in town again.  My brother had to play another couple tennis matches at the Cornhusker State Games (consolation rounds), but I believe he won both of them this time.  My dad came to Lincoln with my mom and brother this time, so my sister got to hang out in the air conditioned house with my dog back in GI.  I'm sure it was perfectly miserable sitting out there all day.  Adding to the misery, the US Women's soccer team lost in the World Cup finals.  So frustrating... Fortunately, it's soccer, I'm American, and I forgot about the loss so quickly that I didn't remember it until I began typing this post.

Since I was working all day, my parents and brother met up with me after my shift.  They hung out with me for about an hour in my dorm room and cooled off. My dad said that the inside of my room looked exactly the same as when he attended UNL, which does not surprise me at all.  They also brought me a digital camera that we got off of Amazon for about $40.  It's a DSLR-like camera that's used and an older model, but otherwise works perfectly fine.  The only problem is the USB cable we were given does not match the camera, so I could not get any of my test pictures off of it.  We're in the process of getting that figured out.  Until now, I can't compare the results to my other camera.  Finally, my family decided they needed to head back, so they took off to head west down Interstate.   I spent the rest of the night doing absolutely nothing in my dorm room, and I ended up going to bed around 10:30 p.m.  All of these duty shifts recently have been killing me.  I'm a picky sleeper, so not being able to sleep in my own bed doesn't work out well for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment