Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May 24, 2011


Shockingly, the forecast for today was correct.  This morning there was a great deal of blue in the west and south, and around 11 a.m. it began raining cats and dogs in Lincoln.  Naturally, a few minutes after the downpour began, I had to be at a shift.  I was fortunate enough to hitch a ride from a supervisor, but I later got soaked running to a dining hall to grab lunch.   I was reminded that my jacket is definitely NOT waterproof and soaked my socks and shoes so badly that they were still wet five hours later when I clocked out.  Oh, well...  I guess it's not really summer until you get drenched while fulfilling a work-related duty.

Anyway, about an hour or hour and a half after my shift began, the rain dissipated and it was sunny for much of the afternoon.  My brother all of the other kids at state golf were able to finish out their rounds, but they started significantly later than the original tee times.  All afternoon (from what I could tell), it was decent outside.  When I got off my shift, I noticed that it had started clouding up again, and by 9:00 p.m. there was a particularly nasty lightning storm in the capitol city (which was immediately followed by more pouring rain).  Glancing at radar, it appears that there isn't going to be a break in the precipitation for quite some time.  The state golfers will be very lucky if they are able to finish an entire round of 18 holes tomorrow.

In better news, tomorrow is the last day of training!  I think everyone is ready to get into a regular--ha!--work pattern and out of the "classroom."  We finally got our work schedules, and already I can tell that my summer schedule is going to be as erratic as last summer.   I have a summer class that will be thrown into the mix as well, but I'm not complaining.  It's better than being bored all summer with nothing to do. Well, I shall wrap up this long, rambling post.  I still don't feel completely caught up on sleep, so I think I'm going to turn in early once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment