Thursday, July 3, 2014

Spain/Italy Trip (Part 9)

The last day of the trip consisted of a ridiculous amount of traveling.  We left from the Rome airport around 11 a.m. and arrived in Omaha around 9:30 p.m.  When you don't consider time zones, it seems like a reasonably short trip considering the distance, but it is NOT.  The first flight was around 10 hours long, we had about three hours to hang out in Charlotte, and then the flight from Charlotte to Omaha was 2.5 hours long.  When you factor in the drive to the airport and my drive back to Lincoln, I was in travel mode for 16+ hours, and I was awake for many more hours than that.  The worst part of travel is definitely the actual traveling part...

Plane rides are fun if they aren't too long, but trips over oceans are excruciatingly boring.  By the end of the trip, my knees actually hurt from sitting for so long, and my backside was in serious pain as well.  Human beings are not meant to sit down for such extended periods of time...

Anyway, I was pretty thrilled to get back to my apartment and see that it had not burned down or been broke into during my absence.  As fun as the trip was, I was thrilled to get back to Nebraska to sleep and get back on routine.  I would love to travel internationally again someday, but I think I need a couple years away from planes before I would consider doing that.

Looking back, it was a very eye-opening experience and it helped me break out of my little Nebraska/American bubble.  I'm glad I was able to experience other cultures, see the ocean, and get away from daily life.

I don't have any pictures to offer from the last travel day, but here is a video from the trip to Spain that offers a decent representation of the way back.  The only difference is that this was an all-day trip rather than an all-night flight.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJHeYozC2Q8


No comments:

Post a Comment