Thursday, May 7, 2015

May 7, 2015 Lincoln Flooding Aftermath

Well, yesterday was eventful for several reasons.  I passed my final evaluation for student teaching, which means I am 100% done and can move into the final phase of my graduate program.  I have to complete my final project (essentially a mini thesis), present it to a small faculty panel, and take one more summer class.  We're getting there.... It's been a whirlwind 12 months....

The other eventful part of the day was the incessant storming that started around 8 p.m. and didn't stop until perhaps 4 a.m.  There were numerous warnings, including tornado warnings at some point.  Several times, I debated whether or not it was safe to go to bed since new warnings were constantly being issued.  However, it seems that Lincoln avoided tornadic activity, as well as high winds and giant hail.  Instead, there was just a hell of a lot of rain.  I think the ballpark figure was 7 inches overnight.  As a result, there is tons of flooding throughout the city.  I'm fortunate enough to live close to the Antelope Valley trails, which was essentially designed to prevent flooding.  The trails are completely flooded, but it seemed like the surrounding neighborhoods were relatively dry for the most part.

Below are several pictures of the abnormally high water levels at various points along the trails.  For a little perspective, the water is generally a tiny ditch with a trickle of water in it.  It's surrounded by tons of grass/weeds and trails and rarely comes even close to overflowing.  Today, it looks like the Loup River....


Looking south from the playground on P Street.

I'm sure the people in these neighborhoods were nervous last night.
Looking south towards campus.  I was positioned close to HSS.

I would be nervous if I were that train conductor....
I have to wonder if this pedestrian sidewalk was underwater last night.

Some of the worst flooding looked as if it was in the Devaney area for now. 

Looking north from Devaney.  This was so incredibly wide.  This definitely looks reminiscent of the Loup River.

People continuing to think their tiny car is capable of getting through deep water.  The girl watching on the right kept telling drivers, "Don't try it!"  as they approached.  She managed to convince a couple people to turn around.

The closest I've ever seen the water to the bottom of the bridge.


This one is actually the Salt Creek.  I relocated to 27th Street for a couple pictures.

I'm debating on going for a walk down to the south part of Lincoln.  I hear it's worse down there, and I may be able to get a few more shots of what other areas of Lincoln look like.  However, I typically take the trails, so that may be a poor idea.  We'll see and I'll post any new photos if I do decide to venture that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment